Article# 13

On your feet, soldier



"What do you when you fall down?" asks my teacher. To this, the class replies in unison, "You get back up". While it's easier said than done, that is exactly what we must do. Adversity is inevitable, and everyone is bound to encounter obstacles at a certain point in their life. That isn't the time for us to crumble, however, but instead find it within us to overcome the challenges. Rest assured, you will become stronger and will have changed for the better.

It is certainly not easy to get back on your feet after you've fallen down. I have realized through personal experience that the feat is more easily accomplished if you have help.Unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way. My stubbornness has always been one of my greatest flaws, and it definitely showed here. I refused to accept help from others when I truly needed it. I viewed it as a sign of my weakness when people offered me their support, and sympathy was the last thing I needed at such unfortunate times. However, there was a unique occasion in which my perspective completely changed. When I was six years old, I tripped and fell on my ankles. I forced myself to 'suck it up' but I was unable to stand on my feet. After about five minutes of trying, I finally managed but fell again after taking a step forward. My ankle was unbearably painful at that point so I started crying. My mom rushed to where I remained in a prone position. She carried me inside and tended to my bruising. Looking back upon it, the incident was very trivial, but it taught me an important lesson. I learned that no matter how much we consider ourselves to have the necessary strength to fix our problems, we need help at times. All of us do. Pride be damned; there is no shame in asking others for help. In fact, it takes a true sense of courage to request people for assistance at a time of our greatest vulnerability. Why should we suffer when there are methods to lessen the pain? I only wish that I had asked myself this sooner.

Post a Comment

- कमेन्ट गर्दा कृपया सभ्य भाषा मात्र प्रयोग गर्नुहोला ।

  © TheAzNepal by Durga P. Adhikari 2009

Back to TOP