Article #14

The power of Dashain




Dashain is unarguably the biggest festival for the Nepalese, and rightfully so. The event marks the triumph of good over evil, in which the goddess Durga successfully defeated the demon Mahesasur. The celebration usually begins in early October and lasts for a period of fifteen days. In honor of the divine mother goddess, the Nepalese tidy and meticulously decorate their houses in hopes that her soul may visit and bless the residents with good fortune. Among the plethora of other rituals, the most visible is perhaps the tradition of slaying sheep, goats, and chicken for the preparation of a large feast that large families can come together and enjoy. The festive mood is so contagious that all shops and organizations are closed, and the chances of finding workers during the celebration are slim to none.



I clearly recall the joy that Dashain brought when I studied in India. I also have to admit that the happiness that it instills in me is not of the same magnitude anymore. That is not to say that I don't enjoy the festival anymore, because it still evokes utmost euphoria in me. However, I miss the days in which I had all of my cousins, friends, and relatives to share the holiday with. Dashain offered a relaxing break from the endless amount of stress that September brought. It was a time where we could ditch our Literature books and geographical encyclopedias, and just have some old fashioned fun. Not only that, but it was also a time where we could indulge in some of the greatest delicacies that our mothers and aunts could prepare. In addition, we received new clothes and if charming enough, a reasonable amount of Indian rupees as well. This wasn't what made Dashain so special to me, however. It was simply the mood that surrounded people. The excitement of the festival brought out the liveliness in everybody, and the event's ability to bring people together was unparalleled by anything else. People disregarded their regular conflicts and got over their differences, even if was for the briefest of times. I can vouch for this, because I am a witness.



Two of my classmates who strongly disliked each other were forced to participate in a friendly 'Dashain' game of soccer that my physical education teacher had arranged. Before the game, my teacher explicitly stated that no arguments were to be had between the two during the game. He also expressed that they were free to go back to their normal selves when the game was finished. The tension was heightened both kids were placed on the same team. "This is bad," I kept thinking to myself. "I give it fifteen minutes until they start fighting," another friend suggested. Fortunately, we were proven wrong, and it turned out that me and my friends didn't have enough faith in the young hooligans. The game finished with no problems at all, and the final score was a well deserved draw of 2-2. The aftermath was no different however, but I didn't really expect it to be, and I doubt my teacher did either. I am entirely positive that all he had hoped for was a fair soccer game, and his wishes had been answered. It would take more than a soccer game for the two to completely resolve their differences, but this was the beginning of the journey of tolerance for each other. I would like to think that it was the power of Dashain that fostered the smooth running of the game, but it might have primarily been due to the fact that they were playing on opposite sides of the field. Either way, I knew that this was the start of something unique. As ludicrous as it sounds, I think I actually saw them shaking hands at graduation two years later. I hope my eyes were not deceiving me.


By: Divyash Chettri

Post a Comment

- कमेन्ट गर्दा कृपया सभ्य भाषा मात्र प्रयोग गर्नुहोला ।

  © TheAzNepal by Durga P. Adhikari 2009

Back to TOP